Thursday, February 14, 2013

Jose Rizal on Convictions

Jose Rizal.  That man had convictions.  He advocated freedom through non-violence, encouraged his fellow citizens to love God, their parents, and their country, to be courageous and prudent, to have self-control and to be selfless.  His patriotism and convictions got him murdered by means of firing squad.  They might have succeed in killing him but what he stood up for one hundred and sixteen years ago still echoes today.


"A man ought to die for his duty and his convictions.  I maintain the ideas that I have expressed concerning the state and future of my country and gladly, I'll die for her, to obtain justice and tranquility for you.  I have always loved my poor country and I'm sure I shall love her until my last moment, should men prove unjust to me.  I shall die happy, satisfied with the thought that all I have suffered, my life, my loves, my joys, my everything, I have sacrificed for the love of her.  I wish to show those who deny us patriotism that we know how to die for our duty and conviction."
~Jose Rizal


Have you got convictions?  What are they?  Is it for the good or the bad?  Is it for love or spite?  Whatever you stand up for, be it in your private life or public will not only affect you but also those around you and those of the future generation yet unborn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...